Monday, June 18, 2012

Did Facebook kill my Blog?

I had often wondered what it was that caused me to stop writing. I love to write, but for reasons not entirely clear to me, I stopped. The last post on skyrocketpops is dated November 12, 2010 ... so what happened? Recently I was thinking how much our daily social media habits have influenced how our interactions with people have changed. A pre-timeline facebook asked us what we were doing, how we felt and we responded:
"Sabine is: having a good day" ... enough said!
Or was it?

Often so many other thoughts were swirling around my head, but facebook is soooo public, I did not feel comfortable putting much out there. Besides, how did I know who was reading my "updates" ... As someone that describes herself as a “happy” person, I would never write "Sabine is: a having a bad day" (even if I was) for fear of someone reading that and thinking that I really AM having a bad day ... and then who cares anyway? I have heard that so often from people when commenting about facebook, no one cares to read that you are eating your dinner, or running your bath or taking the kids to playschool ... but yet, we post this information for the world to see.

So much of our communication has been condensed into these micro-conversations, we text, we tweet, we update status. I wonder if that is that making us better (more efficient) communicators or are we just becoming more superficial in the way we interact with people and communicate at large? Is social media destroying our real-world relationships or enhancing them?

I personally like to use facebook when I travel, the short messages keep me feeling connected to my friends and family around the world, but I'd really appreciate a personal email or a phone call sometime too. Just reading what everyone else is doing, keeps me informed but it's a shallow connection.

We are overwhelmed by information, constantly distracted by messages ... whether it be advertising or our inboxes, there is that daily struggle to process all that comes our way ... no wonder the output dies ... why would anyone what to fill the world with even more words! Well, that was until last week... I decided that its high time I started to add my words to the mass of words that live "out there" and this is why I have this new blog. I will most likely still simply "think out loud" and I don't know how it will evolve, but I have a lot to say and I hope you enjoy my journey as much as I'm going to enjoy mine.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

  1. Hi you!

    Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! On Friday I updated my status with a request to the universe / Gd and got all these worried comments and even phonecalls. And while I was open to discussing my request with some people - they are not on facebook. So I erased my status and that was that. On facebook, everyone wants you to wear a happy face.

    ReplyDelete