Monday, July 9, 2012

Independence

So this past week in America it was the oh so grand 4th of July celebrations. While many families were barbequing or watching parades or fireworks, I spent the day with friends eating cheese, drinking wine and listening to old vinyl records. I had forgotten how wonderful the sound of vinyl is. There is something so unique to the sound of records, a sound that itunes just cant replicate. There is also something so delightfully nostalgic about lifting the record needle, placing it on the record and then when the one side is done, lifting that needle again, placing it in the cradle and then flipping the album over for the B side and another 5 songs. We are so spoiled with the option of a continuous stream of music that I don't think we savor those 5 songs in the same way anymore. Ah, the good old days...

In the sprit of the independence holiday, I have been focusing on my own hard fought independence. I am inspired to make changes in my life like eating better and sleeping more. These positive changes will help me move towards more conscious living and better running!

I am starting to get my running legs back but I cannot believe how much harder it feels. My brain thinks I can still go the distance but my lungs and legs are not entirely up to speed. It’s humbling for sure, but I am aware that it’s all about consistency and perseverance, I just need to keep getting out there – in a few months, it will feel a lot smoother. I know it.

It is just over a year until I head to Iceland for the biggest adventure yet, I will be taking part in a multi-day race in Iceland. I have a lot of training miles ahead of me and I will be sure to document some of it as I go along. First though I need to remember to focus on the smaller stuff, the consistent 6 milers, the long runs on the weekends and simply keeping one foot in front of the other.

“A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step”

No comments:

Post a Comment